- Reduction of Aldehyde and Ketone
The major product on reduction is alcohol.
- Aldehyde gives primary alcohol.
- Ketones give secondary alcohol.
Major Oxidising agents can be used like Ni , Pt , LiALH4, NaBH4 etc. Out of them , LiALH4is the strongest one .The reaction that occurs is given below:
- Reduction to HC’s
- Clemenson reduction – In this ,we take aldehyde and use Zinc in presence of HCl or Zn / Hg amalgam in HCl. The reaction involved is:
- Wolf kishner reduction: In this aldehyde is reacted with hydrazine as shown below :
- By action of red phosphorous on HI we get, hydrocarbons [ temperature 423 – 473k] as shown below:
- Reduction to Pinacol – For this ,we take 2 moles of acetone and reduce them as shown: