Various kinds of movements in animals
Various animals possess various kind of movement like swimming, running, jumping, flying, gliding, crawling etc. which is necessary for them to search food and for reproduction. Some of the kinds were discussed below,
- Earth worms commonly found in soil, feed on dead organic matter (for example: dead leaves, dead animals)
- Earthworms do not have bones.
- Their body issegmented, forms rings all over.
- The earthworm stretch the one part of its body contraction the other and this alternative stretching and contracting movement make its body move forward.
- Earthworm eats its way through the soil and excretes the undigested material.
- Their movement in soil makes the soil fertile that’s why earthworms are also called farmers friend.
- Snails commonly found on land or in soil.
- Snail possesses wavy movement with muscular contraction.
- It also secrets sticky substance called mucus which helps to reduce grip between the snail and the ground so that they can move easily.
- It has shell on its back which is hard but not made of bone and is not helpful in locomotion.
- oaSnail locomotion is frequently called crawling.
- Cockroach is an insect and is a terrestrial animal mostly a common household pest.
- Cockroaches possess various type of locomotion they can walk, climb, fly.
- The body is divided into three parts—head, thorax, and abdomen. 3 pair of legs are present in thoracic part which moves by the muscles present near its limbs (legs).
- The body is covered with the outer hard exoskeleton. It uses breast muscles for the movement of wings due to which they can fly.
- Birds were egg laying animal with feathers, wings and beak.
- Birds can fly, can run, can walk, can perch, can swim as well possess various kinds of movements.
- But not all the birds can fly. For example: Penguin, Ostrich cannot fly these are called flightless birds.
- Fore limbs of birds were modified into wings due to which these can fly.
- Hind limbs are legs due to which they can jump, walk or swim as can be seen in ducks.
- The skeleton of birds is hollow to reduce weight and the breastbone muscle use to move the wings up and down.
- The birds with heavy bone weight cannot fly much higher.
- Fishes found in oceans, rivers, lakes, aquarium etc.
- Fish locomotion is swimming in water. Body of fish is slimmer than the middle portion, it is called tapered ends and this shape is called streamlined body.
- This type of shape allows the fish to move easily in the water.
- Fishes has well-arranged skeleton covered with strong muscles.
- Fishes swims by moving its body and tail in opposite direction to each other, they stretch the body and relaxing the tail in opposite direction this forms a curve, then quickly the body moves other side and the tail on the opposite this creates the jerk and pushes the fish in forward direction.
- This movement is helped by the fins present on tail and also the fins presents on body helps to balance the body while swimming.
- Snakes live on ground, water, on trees. These were legless reptile.
- Snakes possess wavy motion it has a long backbone covered with muscles and skin.
- Snakes cannot move on frictionless surface like glass.
- During its movement snakes creates curves in many loops which pushes them to the forward direction, they moves very fast but not in straight-line the motion created by snakes is called serpentine motion.