Degradation by improper resource utilization and maintenance
- The degradation of natural resources can occurby improper resource utilization practices such as
- Soil erosion and desertification
- Soil erosion is the removal of the top layer of the soil.
- Human activities such as over-cultivation, unrestricted grazing, deforestation and poor irrigation practices, results in arid patches of land which when extend and meet over time, a desert is created.
Fig. soil erosion
- Waterlogging and soil salinity
- Irrigation without proper drainage of water leads to waterlogging in the soil.
- Waterlogging draws salt to the surface of the soil which is then deposited as a thin crust on the land surface or starts collecting at the roots of the plants and damages the crop production.
Fig. water logging in the soil